If you’re searching for an educational, fun experience for your children in Howard County, Maryland, why not consider taking them to a farm? Many farms offer interactive experiences where children can be near animals, learn about their habits, etc. Plus, it’s a great way to get them outside and moving! Today, I’ll share with you my top farm picks in Howard County where your little ones can indulge in their love for animals.
What are the best farm experiences for kids in Howard County, MD? The article highlights six farms offering interactive experiences for children, including Clark’s Elioak Farm, Sharp’s at Waterford Farm, Larriland Farm, Breezy Willow Farm, TLV Tree Farm, and Mary’s Land Farm. These farms provide opportunities for kids to interact with animals, learn about farming, and participate in activities like hayrides and fruit picking.
Let’s dive in!
- Clark’s Elioak Farm: This enchanting farm, located in Ellicott City, is a haven for kids. With its petting farm, children can interact with a host of friendly farm animals, including sheep, goats, cows, and pigs. There’s also a fun playground and a Pine Tree Maze to enjoy! A day here will undoubtedly be filled with fun, learning, and great memories. Check out their website here (not a secure link). The cost of admission is $8 per person aged one and over.
- Sharp’s at Waterford Farm: This farm is an educational and entertaining day out for kids of all ages. In addition to a wide variety of animals to meet, there are hayrides, pumpkin picking, and a corn maze. Your kids can engage with animals and farm activities, getting their hands dirty in the most fun way possible. More about their offerings can be found here. Admission fees vary depending on the activities chosen.
- Larriland Farm: Larriland Farm has many pick-your-own fruits and vegetables. Check out their website for what you can pick today (late spring, summer, and fall). While it’s not a petting zoo, the farm is home to various chickens and roosters, which can be a delight for children to observe. It’s a fun way to learn about sustainable farming and where our food comes from. Find out more here. There are no admission fees; you pay for what you pick.
- Breezy Willow Farm: This is a charming, family-run farm in Woodbine (The store is in Ellicott City). While it’s more known for its fresh produce and farm store, they do have a host of farm animals that children will enjoy. Plus, the alpacas are a firm favorite among visitors! Learn more about Breezy Willow Farm here. Access to the farm store is free.
- TLV Tree Farm: A working farm in Glenelg, TLV offers kids an educational experience about animal care and agriculture. You might also be interested in their seasonal events, which often involve their farm animals. Visit their website here for more information.
- Mary’s Land Farm: Tucked away in Ellicott City, Mary’s Land Farm is a fantastic spot for family outings. It’s a sustainable, organic farm with an eclectic mix of animals that will delight the children. They have everything from hens and roosters to pigs, cows, and even adorable alpacas. They offer farm tours where children can meet and learn about these creatures and have a farm store brimming with organic produce and products. It’s a beautiful place where children can see how a farm operates and where our food comes from. Check out more about Mary’s Land Farm here. Admission fees for the tours vary, and it’s best to contact them directly for the latest pricing information. This is also a great place for a birthday party.
Each of these farms provides an opportunity for children to learn about crops and animals and their role in our lives. It’s a hands-on, engaging experience that kids will remember for years to come. It’s also an excellent way to support local farmers and the Howard County, MD, agricultural community. You may also want to have a look at my article about farm-to-table food in Howard County, ice cream, and my article about bakeries in Howard County.
[Looking for other fun things to do with children in Maryland]